Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Last Supper

Cambridge Brewing Company is the site for my last rite, as leaving is like dying. It is also the coming out party for the group of 18. Giant cylindrical tanks of beer are right next to our table. (I am using present tense to describe a past event, as if it replays before my eyes at the moment of writing.)

Three tall towers of beer, 3.5 liters each, stand on our long table, waiting to be consumed throughout the three and half hours long party. Half a cup is enough to sedate my mind, but not my heart, ears and mouth. Colleagues are similarly all excited, not so much about my leaving, but on company stock price going south as a result of flat outcome of a completed clinical trial for Vytorin, cholesterol-lowering combo drug. Some question the wisdom of the clinical design for targeting a very small population with so much at stake. Compared to nearly ten billion dollars market loss this week, the clinical trial’s cost is really small potato. Hopefully hindsight will help ameliorate future study designs.

Sitting next to me, an evangelical Christian, are colleagues from Catholic, Episcopalian, Buddhist, and Hindu background. Our talk goes intensely spiritual. Da Vinci’s Code provides the thread of our discussion about the core mission and true identity of Christ. We touch on the topic of masculinity of the Bible translations, and gender equality. AP tells me that he has put all of my journaling into one folder aptly entitled rumination.

Fisherman’s stew (shrimp, scallop, mussel) is my entrĂ©e, following crab cake appetizer. I find myself having good appetite, despite overworked stress. Apparently, leaving is unlike dying in this regard. Three rounds of toast for my leaving are like three cups of blessing in a Jewish Passover. We also toast for the engagement of two former colleagues in absentia. A few people have to leave earlier, half stay to the end. CCC and I have to excuse ourselves a few minutes early to catch up with some additional work.

I said goodbye to the janitor. I may never see him again in this life. I thanked God for a good run here and left my office past 10 pm. I walked in the largely serene neighborhood of Cambridge. This would be my last evening stroll in this emotionally attached place. I heard my own footsteps sounding from the patchily icy pedestrian walkway. I met C, S, and J tonight at the apartment. I emptied my purse to find a paltry six dollars before giving them and a few dollars worth of quarters to S, inadequately recompensing for her purchase of food before my faith discourse with D two nights ago. I thanked them for taking me in as their roommate and their kindness during my stay since October. I would welcome them to visit the greater NYC area. May the Lord bless them.

Now that I am about to pack my personal belongings before heading home Friday, I have mixed feelings that I am still sorting through….

No comments:

About Me

Ph.D Biochemist, Itinerant Evangelist